(Redirected from Project:About)
This wiki is for the documentation, discussion and development of CVRank, the algorithm behind projects like CVRank XML Namespace for portable resumes, or the CVRanking Resume plugin for Elgg. It is kindly hosted and supported by Academia Biblos.
All textual content of CVRank.org is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License (CC-BY-SA), except for pages that explicitly state that their contents are from software (generally under the GNU General Public License version 2) or in the Public domain. See Project:Copyrights for full details.
In 2010, during the European and Spanish debt crisis, we began to receive too many resumes at Academia Biblos. We weren't able to efficiently classify the candidates anymore. We had then the idea of developing some sort of scale ("baremo" in Spanish). Because static scales are difficult to maintain and modify, and - almost like relying on intuition - lack objectivity, we wanted to use a well-based algorithm that gave us candidates distributed along a mathematical function. Eventually, we learned about the Item Response Theory models (see CVRank algorithm for more on this).
While we had tested the CVRank algorithm with privately held resumes, we wanted our new tool to be available to the public. After writing the essentials in detail, we wrote and filed the provisional application for the patent of a "computer-implemented method" in the US. Even though software patents are controversial (to say the least), expensive, and usually not cost-effective, reasons for filing a provisional application in the US were twofold:
- First: if we created a start-up, we would file a patent, as we didn't want well-established companies to copy it and easily oust us from the US market, if the algorithm became popular.
- Second: if we decided to work with it as an open source project, we didn't want any company to be able to (easily) patent the method or anything related to it. A provisional is a proof that the CVRank algorithm is not "new technology" anymore.
Eventually, we decided that our objective should be to develop an open standard, and that - like the W3C - we would concentrate on discussion and guidelines concerning CVRank. For us the decision a priori - without further information as to whether the algorithm would be accepted or used -, was either to try to be another Klout, working with an undisclosed algorithm, working under the framework of a company, and mainly for the US market; or to try to create an international, transparent, and reliable project, in the hope that a supporting community would emerge. We chose the latter, for which we have already some experience.
We needed to create a software package that could allow an out of the box installation, since CVRank was conceived as a tool for any interested user (job recruiter, human resources), whether they are expert sysadmins or not, whether they work online or offline, or whether they want to use private or open databases.
A social engine seemed thus the best approach. Because of the developer community available at Elgg, we deemed it the most rational decision to begin working with its plugin system, to add the CVRank functionality into a CVRanking package. We test it at CVRanking's site
What CVRank.org is
- CVRank.org is a collaborative wiki to work on CVRank-related projects.
CVRank.org has different topics:
- CVRank algorithm will be the front door to comprehensive dicussion and development of the CVRank algorithm .
- CVRank XML Namespace will be the front door to comprehensive CVRank XML Namespace discussion and development .
- Manual:contents will be the front door to comprehensive CVRank algorithm and XML Namespace documentation.
- CVRanking will be the front door to comprehensive Elgg's CVRanking Resume plugin documentation.
- Help:Contents will be the front door to CVRank.org generic site user help.
This site includes descriptions of and tutorials for the CVRank-related software.
Even though there are some pages in other languages, English is the main language on this site. Translation efforts are needed.
What CVRank.org is not
- CVRank.org is not CVRanking.org. CVRanking.org is merely an Elgg site running the software CVRanking Resume documented by this site. If you're interested in working with CVRanking, check it out directly.
- CVRank.org is not a free host or webspace provider
- This site is not meant to store private, commercial or any other content that is unrelated to the CVRank.
- All content added to CVRank.org may have to be edited mercilessly, and can be redistributed at will. By submitting any content, you agree to release it for free use under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License (CC-BY-SA), or if it is stated explicitly, as Public Domain.
- CVRank.org is not a vehicle for advertising
- This site is not to be used for commercial promotion, advertising, propaganda or advocacy - other than for CVRank itself and the CVRank projects.
- CVRank.org is not an indiscriminate collection of information
- This site is not an indiscriminate collection of items relating to every project utilizing CVRank software. Articles dealing with other software issues, or issues with individual wikis, are not suitable for this site. Please try to stay on the task of creating contents concerning the CVRank projects.
- CVRank.org is not a forum or a chatroom
- Don't (mis)use this site, especially user pages and talk pages, as a forum, bulletin board or chatroom. We have a Google Group at Google groups for that.
- Also see the recommended communications channels.
Name and logo
CVRank stands for "Curriculum Vitae Rank", and is pronounced Cee Vee Rank.
The CVRank logo is explained as:
- CVR in capital letters, for the name and abbreviation of the function, CVR().
- The parentheses () as the function sign.
- The Rubik's Cube, because of the division of achievements (and their ability equivalents) into an apparent puzzle that we can nevertheless solve using a mathematical, rational and objective approach.
- The slogan used for CVRank is "keep it rational".
- Introduction — multi-page intro to CVRank with navigation box